EMMA BASIC Spiced Hummus
Get inspired by Ching-He Huang while she makes Spiced Hummus
IngredientsToast in pan:
- 12 tablespoons Emma Basic white sesame seeds
For the Spiced seasoning
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, whole
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, whole
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, whole
- 1 tablespoon dried chilli flakes
Make the tahini
- Using a blender
- 10 tablespoons of toasted white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoon water to soften
- 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
For the Houmous
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and grated
- 1 X 400g tin chickpeas rinsed, drained
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 pinches of sea salt
- 2 pinches cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoon water
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Roasted salt
Toast the sesame seeds in a dry pan for 1-2 minutes until nutty and aromatic. Place in a blender, saving 2 tablespoons in the pan to make the spiced seasoning.
To the toasted sesame seeds in the pan, add the fennel, cumin, dried chilli flakes and flaked sea salt. Dry toast in the pan for less than a minute, transfer to a heatproof bowl and set aside to cool.
With the remaining toasted sesame seeds, blend in a food processor until fine and crumbly. Keep blending until you have a crumbly thick consistency. Add 1 tablespoon of water to blend, and add another tablespoon of water, for a creamier Tahini add in 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and blend together. This will make 3 tablespoons of Tahini. Leave 1 tablespoon in the blender, spoon out the rest and keep in an air tight jar in the fridge for 1 week.
To the Tahini in the blender, add the chickpeas, water and blend. Season with grated garlic, sea salt, cracked black pepper and lemon juice. Blend well to make a smooth Houmous. (You can add extra virgin olive oil but for a low oil content, water works well).
To serve place the Houmous in a bowl. Using a teaspoon make swirls. Dress with Extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle over the spice seasoning salt.